This year at Arisia I attempted something new. Because one of our eaters is nightshade allergic, we can’t put potatoes in the beef stew. But it’s not a real Jewish shabbat lunch without slow cooked potatoes. So I tried cooking potatoes in one of our crock pots overnight. I started with this recipe, and fudged with it a bit. Here’s my version.
- Cut a bunch of baby potatoes into wedges. The amount will depend on the size of your crock pot and how many people you’re trying to feed. Dump these into the crockpot.
- Pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Don’t waste your fancy peppery extra virgin oil on this one.
- Take whatever fresh herbs you have in the house (I used rosemary, sage and thyme) and strip and chop the leaves and sprinkle them over the potatoes.
- ETA: Peel the bulk of a head of garlic. Throw in the cloves whole.
- Add salt to the pot. At Arisia we used rosemary salt, but any salt will do.
- Set your crockpot to low and cook overnight.
- Enjoy with friends.